Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Back to Business

Introduction


I've had knee issues in the past, but most of the time they didn't keep me from fighting.
When I've won the backkick-destruction event at the open style TKD world championships in Birmingham, UK, back in 2007, I made my first attempt with my left (weaker) leg because I was suffering from a damaged meniscus in my right knee. I kicked right through those boards and on the second take I used my right leg - there was only me and one irish competitor left, so I was like "what the heck" - and decided those championships. My knee wasn't "ok" then, but I was able to kick, and hard to that.

After that day, I took a break to spare my knee. According to the doctors, a couple of weeks rest and everything was going to be fine.
Well, it was.
For a while.

Last year, I've decided to participate in the WTKA world championships under K-1 rules in october 2008. Needless to say, my training was made up of loads of anaerobic exercise, coupled with muay-thai sparring and technique. All of this went well until august. Then, my knee called for attention again. Being determined to fight, I continued to train, working through the pain in every workout.

Well, I know I shouldn't have, but I guess everyone of you guys knows what it's like to really want something.

Needless to say, I didn't fight. My knee troubles got worse, there were times when my girl had to half-carry me up the stairs because I was unable to do a single step with my right leg.

I've been through all the doctors and hospitals, did magnetic resonance analysis not once but three times and ended up with three different diagnoses. The mutual consent of all the doctors was quite simple - spare the knee, see if the pain goes away. (Do I have to mention it didn't?)
If the pain wasn't to magically disappear in a couple of months, I was to come back and have the knee examined again.

It's not as if I try to find a solution myself.

I've tried to cure the knee with voltaren, an anti-inflammatory gel. Althought the swelling did actually go away, the pain remained.
After that, I've tried "Bowen", an australian therapy aimed at acitivating the body's immune system and accelerating the healing process. Didn't do a thing.
Then, I tried shiatsu-therapy once a week. That actually did take some pain away from me, but that was only the regular, training-induced muscle pain that comes and goes, my knee remained problematic.

Due to the missing results from all other measures, the way I chose to go due to the is to simply train - I've spent the last 6 or 7 months doing specific rehab / prehab training, functional stength training and lots of proprioceptive exercise to work those muscles around the knee. Now, I can do pistol-squats (a.k.a unilateral squats) with around 20kg of additional weight without pain again, so I guess I'm going in the right direction.



Although hard kicking still leaves me uneasy (and sometimes in pain), I've decided to get in shape for the TAGB British Championships on November, 22nd.

If the situation gets out of the hand again, I'll skip the championships (yeah, I'm actually capable of learning) and have the doctors check the knee with an arthroscopy to finally get an answer.

Until then, for approximately the next eight weeks, my training will be aimed at building a solid physical base and fine-tuning my technique (especially kicking and straight blasts, since that's what really counts in open-style TKD fights).

Below, I'll outline the basic structure of my training week. The program begins today (already started the day with my steady-state cardio) but will certainly be fine-tuned in the next weeks.

The program


DayMorningNoonEvening
MondaySteady state cardio
(Running, approx. 1 hour)
offTechnique/Tactics
TuesdayoffTechnique / TacticsLower-body power-work
WednesdaySteady state cardio
(Running, approx. 1 hour)
offTechnique / Tactics
ThursdayKicking classUpper-body power-workoff
FridayoffoffBoxing class
SaturdayoffoffHiit running
(60 sec jog, 30 sec sprint)
Sundayoffoffoff

As mentioned before, this is a rough layout, I'm pretty sure I'll fine-tune the program in the next week or two. Also, note that this is off-season training. I'll use July and August to set up a solid base, after that I'll reduce volume and increase intensity gradually until I peak on November 22nd.

I plan on using september for lots of max-effort strength training to boost my 1-rm max on the deadlift (currently ~140 kg / ~ 308lbs), the bench press (currently ~115 kg / ~253lbs) and the squat (haven't tested for a long time due to beforementioned knee injury). Also, I'll move my running to the track (whereas now I'm mostly running in the nature) and force 400m and 800m sprints.

Finally, I'll use october to fine-tune my nervous system and reduce training to sparring and tactics.

November will mostly be made up up short, explosive training sessions and some sparring.

Anyways, I'll keep you informed on my progress and go into more detail on what I do in which workout in my next posts.

Until then,
take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W