Direkt zum Hauptbereich

ori hofmeklers warrior diet - top or flop?

About 7 months ago, I got my hands on a copy of Ori Hofmeklers "Warrior Diet". Fascinated by the idea, I took it up. Before I go any further, I'll outline the main points in case you're not familiar with the concept:

  1. Eat one meal at night
  2. During the day, eat only raw, unprocessed food if you must eat
  3. In your main meal, start with raw veggies, continue with cooked veggies, protein and fat and finish the meal with carbos.
  4. Go low in the food chain.
Now, basically that means you're fasting all day in a controlled manner - you're allowed to eat raw fruit, veggies, tiny portions of protein, just don't overdo it - and then, before going to bed, you feast.

I'm certainly not going to elaborate on the scientific aspect behind the warrior diet, there's enough fuss about that already. No need for me to contribute. Quite frankly, the "warrior diet" goes against most of the stuff I've learned about nutrition in the past. To this time I've tried to follow John Berardis "Precision Nutrition" System as good as possible.

The problem is that Berardi - as most nutritionists and even doctors - propagates eating every two to three hours to keep insuline in check, fight cortisol, keep the body nourished etc. Now, nice as that sounds, in the last half year it just wasn't doable for me due to various reasons.

So, when I read about the idea of eating one meal a day, I was kind of caught into it. This type of nutritional system was just what I needed to match my lifestyle. Of course I was skeptical, but then on the other hand I've already tried the Atkins diet and the raw food diet amongst others, so compared to them the "warrior diet" seems pretty sensible.

Hofmekler suggests a gradual approach to the "warrior diet" - but I wasn't into that. For me it was all or nothing and for the first two months I strictly followed the diet. As crazy as the diet sounds, I actually lost three Kg, most of it water and fat as far as I can tell. Now, three Kg don't seem overly much, however, if you're at ~8% body fat every Kg counts.

The problem with the "warrior diet" is the same as with every diet: It works as long as you're doing it. When I didn't have the time to cook every day for a period of approximately 3 months, I quickly regained those three Kg, plus an additional one.

However, since two months I'm doing it properly again and I'm down to 73Kg (~161lbs) again. Due to my lifestyle and training, however, I've made some adaptations to the system.
First of all, I'm sick of authors trying to sell some strange stuff through their books.
Coach Christopher Sommer tries to do so in "Building the gymnastic body", Pavel Tsatsouline is trying to do so in "Bulletproof Abs" and Ori Hofmekler is trying to do so in "The Warrior Diet".
Personally, I don't find the thought of drinking a "Serum", made from "... the first milk of a lactating cow" very appealing, so I'm just plainly ignoring Hofmeklers supplement recommendations.

Also, since I'm considering myself to belong to a group that Hofmekler refers to as "extremely active people", I'm consuming some carbos and proteins after my workouts to refill glycogen stores and allow for another training on the same day. After a run in the morning for example I'd eat some yoghurt with honey and nuts.
After my main meal at night I'll supplement with 6 grams of fish oil and some glucosamine to support my joints.

Now, I can't say I'd recommend this diet to anybody. Neither can I advise against it.
I just like the idea of keeping the blood away from the digestive tract during the day and have energy available to do other things. The clarity of mind and detoxification that come along with fasting appeal to me. Most of all, the discipline to forsake food during the day and endure hunger is a very important point for me. Self-discipline is, in my opinion, a very strong difference between a mugger and a warrior.

For me, a "Mugger" is a folk with decent fighting skills but no sense for ethics and honor to match it, a person that lives exclusively for his own benefit. I'm sure you've met people like that, most likely so amongst self-proclaimed "martial artists".

A warrior on the other hand is someone who confronts himself, the world and the universe but always strives to build his own luck upon the luck of others, someone who gains stability by lifting people around him up, not by pushing them down.

Since the pursuit of personal enrichment is enrooted so deep in human nature, I believe that self-discipline is what allows for ethics and honor.

Personally, I'll continue to follow the "warrior diet" until I start to feel bad about it or my performance begins to suffer.

Until then,
take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W