Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Poland #2

Had a hell of a day.

At 12:00 I went to the MMA training at Miroslaw Okninskis Vale Tudo school (www.valetudo.pl).
Unfortunately, due to the fact that Okninski himself is currently at his clubs summer training camp, there was no actual trainer to supervise the lesson. However, there was a BJJ guy (Christopher), a former wrestling now MMA guy (Maciek, if I remember correctly), a professional MMA fighter with 21 fights under his hat (Martin) and - me.

The pro arrived late, like 40 - 50 minutes after the lesson started.
Up to that point, we warmed up and started with some combinations of strikes and takedowns as shown by Maciek. After that, the BJJ guy took us through some exercises to pass the half-guard and get into a full mount position. Lastly, we did that free-form, so one partner would establish a half-guard and try to keep it or submit the guy on top, who, in turn tries to establish a full mount position. About that time, Martin came in and joined us.

The whole training took about one and a half hours.
After training I asked the guys how much time they'd spend on standup (e.g. striking) training.
While the answer "about 20%" didn't actually surprise me, it pretty clearly shows the route professional MMA has taken lately. Still, I prefer keeping the fight standing up.

At 20:00 I had Sambo training at Bartlomiej Mendeks Sambo club (www.sambo.pl).
For warmup, his co trainer had us go through a set of gymnastic exercises. Then, the group was split into a Muay Thai group and a Sambo group. Since my goal was to practice Sambo and my knee isn't yet up to Muay Thai training anyways, I joined the Sambo group.

Just as known from Jud and BJJ, we did began training with technique work and then came to sparring. Again, as in Judo, we first did ground fighting only, followed by standup grappling only and finally free form sparring.

Although this sounds like just another grappling class, it certainly isn't. Some of those guys really were quick as weasels. The fact that slams are allowed - soyou can basically stand up and drop onto an opponent who has established a guard position on you - doesn't allow for much passivity. Also, when it comes to clothing, everything from traditional Sambo gear - short trunks and a gi jacket - to MMA pants with no shirt whatsoever, everything was present. This variety of circumstances definately forces you to work with different techniques and employ a different tactic in every round.

To sum things up, I'd rather box those guys than grapple with them.

Anyhow, we finished the training with strength-endurance conditioning. Pretty basic stuff, pushups, v-ups, lots of jumping... Since I didn't want to strain my knee unnecessarily (it already hurt from sparring), I was told to do more pushups. So I did pushups. Endless numbers of them. Well, it certainly didn't do me no bad.

The Sambo training took me approximately two hours.

I enjoyed both training sessions today and definately won't compare them to each other since both were unique and completely different from each other.

Tomorrow, it'll be BJJ at Okninskis school, then I'll tell you more.

So long,


take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on S&C: Assess, don't guess - Athletics @ Shinergy[base] Vienna

  Disclaimer: This one's going to be a bit lengthy, so I tried to include as many videos as possible to keep things fresh.  Since December, 2014, I'm in charge of the athletics class we run at the Shinergy[base] here in Vienna. In a nutshell, the athletics class is pretty much a functional strength class for small groups. In contrast to other systems out there (which all have their benefits in their own sense), out athletics class follows a simple periodization and is preceded by an individual assessment of each athlete. Our assessment usually doesn't take as long as, say, a full [FMS] , but then again, we screen for the selection of exercises we're actually planning on employing in the current program. This means that, although it might be beneficial for general health or long-term improvement of a functional movement base, there is no pressing need to screen for overhead competency if the plan calls for a horizontal upper body push. We can ḱeep our initial screens