Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Back from Greece

Ok, just returned from Greece. There's been positive and negative sides to that journey.

The good

On a positive note, following the warrior diet is easy in Greece, as people there apparentely seem to live by it anyways. We were told by our hotel manager that "we never eat breakfast", and when we had our main meal at something like 10pm, the taverna was filled with locals. We quickly found ourselves a decent place to eat, called Nikos Souvlaki, which I can strongly recommend to anyone in the area of Plakias.

Due to the heat and the nearby sea, I've decided to substitute swimming for my usual running. This proved to be a great idea. Swimming will definately play a part in phase 2 of my current program, which will begin in September. Not only is swimming easier on the joints than running, it's also a full-body activity as opposed to roadwork. In Greece, I'd do HIIT swimming with my Polar on, stopping time intervals. For one minute I'd crawl all-out, after that I'd breaststroke for two minutes at a moderate pace. Here, since I have a indoor swimming pool available just 5 minutes from my flat, I'll do the intervals distance based (33 meters all out, 33 meters moderate).

Needless to say, the relaxation component was positive as well.



The bad

Now for the bad stuff. Although the topic of Pankration seems to be omnipresent throughout Greece, I had no luck in finding a school / club. Now I didn't expect to in Plakias, the town where we stayed, but there was none I could find in Rethymno, which is a bigger city (one of the biggest on Crete), either.
I did my technique training with my girlfriend, much to the hotel managers dismay, who didn't like the idea of having two martial artists doing padwork on his lawn. After two training sessions he indirectly asked us not to train in the hotel garden. Funny thing is we were the only ones in that garden anyways, so there was no chance we bothered any of the guests.

The ugly

As for the ugly, well, I've long since fallen in love with greek and turkish sweets (baklava, kadaifi, galactobureko)... being directly at the source of these made me actually gain a kilogram despite following the warrior diet.



All in all, I loved that holiday. Just what I needed after the last year. I'm really looking forward to re-opening my dojo again in September.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on S&C: Assess, don't guess - Athletics @ Shinergy[base] Vienna

  Disclaimer: This one's going to be a bit lengthy, so I tried to include as many videos as possible to keep things fresh.  Since December, 2014, I'm in charge of the athletics class we run at the Shinergy[base] here in Vienna. In a nutshell, the athletics class is pretty much a functional strength class for small groups. In contrast to other systems out there (which all have their benefits in their own sense), out athletics class follows a simple periodization and is preceded by an individual assessment of each athlete. Our assessment usually doesn't take as long as, say, a full [FMS] , but then again, we screen for the selection of exercises we're actually planning on employing in the current program. This means that, although it might be beneficial for general health or long-term improvement of a functional movement base, there is no pressing need to screen for overhead competency if the plan calls for a horizontal upper body push. We can ḱeep our initial screens