Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Health & Wellness Fair 09

Today me and my girlfriend went to the Health & Wellness Fair 2009.
In a cooperation with Kybun - exercise mats for rehab and therapeutic training - we were representing the Shinergy system.
Those KYbun mats are soft, bouncy and non-slippery. They can be used for proprioceptive training, stability work and the likes of it.
As I told the guys at the booth, they resembled a more expensive, more mainstream version of the tatami that cover the floor of my dojo.
Guess that makes me a "super-advanced kinesiologist", since I'm having my students train on those mats every day. But then I guess it doesn't, after all.

Now, the amount of visitors was far less than expected, so we've checked out the other booths. Quite frankly, I was pretty disappointed with the direction the terms "health" and "wellbeing" seem to be taking currently.
To quote Baird, a character from Epic's videogame "Gears of War 2" on this one:


"Anyone else's bullshit detectors going off?"


Well, here comes the top 3 of what made me laugh the hardest:

1) Panasonic Joba
Now this one's innovative. Basically, sitting on this robot simulates a riding a horse. The ad says something about strengthening your hip-flexors, glutes and core muscles. When I was reading this, all I could think about was heavy deadlifts. Well, never mind that one, but the whole thing reminded me of those tamagotchis and robo-dogs in an awkward way. In my opinion, horseriding should be involving, well, a horse. That's why it's called horseriding. Also, people need to stop thinking that the more money they invest in training equipment the better the results will be.


Hard work, a solid plan and being consequent about it is what leads to progress. There's no shortcuts, as usually.
By the way you can find info about the Joba thing here: http://ex-blog.panasonic.co.jp/exhibition/en/2007/10/hcr_340.html

2) Spinalis
Those guys were trying to sell those fancy ergonomic chairs. Nothing wrong with that, I own a sitting ball myself.
Hoever, the video they were showing seemed to suggest that sitting on one of those things is actually good for your spine.
Which it obviously isn't. We're just not built to spend all day sitting.
Ergonomic chairs just might slow down posture deterioration and health issues, but there's no way it's going to improve health in whatever way.
My tips for a healthy spine would certainly revolve around heavy deadlifts, not some ergonomic gadget.
Don't get me wrong, I totally believe in ergonomics, however, they're a nice addition. In no way, however, can some sitting device replace hard work in the gym when it comes to spine & joint health.


Weight loss, strength training and stability work, coupled perhaps with some propriceptive exercise is what will really work against back issues. Only when all those things are sufficiently taken care of do additonal measures make sense.

3) Power Pilates
Ah, yes, Pilates. Enough said.

Now maybe I'm being ignorant and intolerant about those things, but I think that people really need to wake up when it comes to their health and wellbeing.
It's not about flashy gadgets (Spinalis) and you're most certainly not going to make progress if you refuse to leave your comfort zone (Pilates).

Bruce Lee's most well-known and most abused phrase is "absorb what is useful. Dismiss what is useless". I know, everyone's using that phrase, more often than not in an inept way. Anyways, I'll apply it to what I saw today: Dismiss everything that promises results without paying attention to the basics. It's just not going to work.

Think about it.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W