Direkt zum Hauptbereich

It's the final countdown...

Chris and I have been following our four day program almost religiously over the last 5 weeks.

Today, for the first time, we had to skip our gym session due to general exhaustion. You see, yesterday, beginning at 8am, we were teaching at a local secondary school. For me, it was five hours there, Chris did 7. But the day wasn't done for me, either, as I held another 3 lessons at my dojo.

Now, working for 8 hours a day doesn't sound that hard, after all, that's what everyone's doing. Anyhow, teaching martial arts is not your ordinary 9 to 5 job. First off, it's physical work. Doesn't have to be hard physical work, but it definately is physical work. Besides that teaching means understanding one's students. Every problem of theirs is a problem of yours for the duration of the class. A teacher needs to be pretty empathic in regards to every student's personal goals, possibilities and limitations. People tend to carry a lot of ballast onto the mat - everything they accumulate over the day. This isn't so much of a concern with mature, sensible adults, but it's definately an issue with large groups of kids that in fact don't want to be at school and are quite indiscriminate in their refusal of everything they deem connected to school.

Anyhow, after that teaching-marathon, we've decided to skip one pull/push cycle (2 sessions) and concentrate on specific training instead. Today, this was a lot of boxing technique (which I've come to greatly enjoy now that my understanding of the mechanics involved in it has greatly improved) and some groundwork/grappling.

Next week we'll go to the final spurt and work through our last four sessions before going to a new program. Although there's surely some points that need further refinement, I'm very happy with our 5x5 program. Both Chris and I experienced tremendous strength gains, especially in the deadlift. At the beginning of the program my 1rm for the deadlift was 150kg. Here, I need to add that over the course of the entire program, there was just one day when I was able to lift those 150kg. I was never able to repeat it. Last monday, I did 140kg x 4. According tomuscletech's 1rm calculator (see here) I should be able to lift approximately 160kg. That's a 10 kg improvement, put in a different way, that's 14%. Considering the relatively short amount of time we've been doing the program, that's truly a significant progress.

Also, we managed to nearly balance out our bench press and our standing rows. Chris is at 87.5kg with the bench press, I'm at 85kg. Next monday we'll be rowing 87.5kg, so our horizontal push and pull poundages are pretty much even.

When it comes to vertical pulling, I'm currently doing my pull-ups with 17.5kg of additional weight. Since we've started out with 10kg (and had to struggle heavily to do those pull-ups), that's more than a 75% increase. Awesome.

I'll post our progress on every exercise next weekend, when we've completed the program. Also, I'll try to take a video of our next two sessions and post it here.

So long,

take care.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on S&C: Assess, don't guess - Athletics @ Shinergy[base] Vienna

  Disclaimer: This one's going to be a bit lengthy, so I tried to include as many videos as possible to keep things fresh.  Since December, 2014, I'm in charge of the athletics class we run at the Shinergy[base] here in Vienna. In a nutshell, the athletics class is pretty much a functional strength class for small groups. In contrast to other systems out there (which all have their benefits in their own sense), out athletics class follows a simple periodization and is preceded by an individual assessment of each athlete. Our assessment usually doesn't take as long as, say, a full [FMS] , but then again, we screen for the selection of exercises we're actually planning on employing in the current program. This means that, although it might be beneficial for general health or long-term improvement of a functional movement base, there is no pressing need to screen for overhead competency if the plan calls for a horizontal upper body push. We can ḱeep our initial screens