Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Poland, July 2011: Impressions

I just returned from a two-week trip to Poland with my girl. It was awesome. Our trip took us from Vienna to Warsaw, then way up north to Dabki, which is a surfer's paradise at the baltic sea. After spending a week there, we went to Poznan for another two days. From Poznan it was back to Warsaw and eventually home.
Although there's so much to say about Warsaw when it comes to the martial arts, I'll skip that for now and focus on Dabki and Poznan instead. You see, Dabki is situated in quite a unique spot: on the one side, there's the baltic sea while on the other one, there's the Bukowo-lake. Obviously, this location makes it pretty much perfect for water-sports enthusiasts.


For me, too, the plan was to spend my days doing little but windsurfing and laying on the beach. Didn't turn out that way, though, as the weather had its own plans: most of the time it was rainy and cold, definately not beach-like. Wind-wise, it was either completely still or extremely windy, like 8 to 9 Bouffort. Without a trapeze, that's too much for me to be enjoyable. Hence, most of the time I spent well away from the beach and the water. The weather improved over time, though, and I even managed to get totally sun-burned on the last day. From what we heard, they had great weather and perfect wind when we were in Poznan. Tough luck, I guess.

Anyhow, while the weather wasn't exactly tropical, it was more than suitable for a lot of other outdoor activities. Athough I'm not much of a runner for various reasons, I gave it a try in the morning. There's nothing like starting the day with some jogging on the nearby beach just after sunrise. Running along some street in the city just doesn't come close. I mixed up my running with some stretching and shadowboxing and I just felt great.


Since we're talking about Poland here, it goes without saying that I wasn't the only martial artist on the beach in the morning. You see, the Poles are really enthusastic about summer camps, especially for children. Those camps are usually cheap enough so every parent can afford them. Also, though I am pretty disappointed by the curch in general, in Poland it's doing a good job in organizing summer camps for children from families that otherwise couldn't pay for any holidays. Anyhow, back to the topic, when I went running for the first time, I met a group of youths and children, along with their trainer. Now that girl (the trainer) was tough as coffin-nails. First, the kids had to work their way to the beach with squat jumps . Unfortunaly, I didn't have a camera with me, but the exercise looked like this:



When a kid didn't do it right, it had to go back and do it again. There was no slacking off, no excuses. Then, on the beach, they spent about an hour or so playing games (most of which revolved around sprinting or wrestling). I know it must have been around an hour because they were just finishing when I returned from my run. In the end, they finished the session with 12 oldschool squats. Now you think 12 ain't much? I totally agree. Keep in mind though, I said oldschool squats. The trainer stood in front of the group, bellowing the rep number: 1,2,3,... Whenever the group didn't squat perfectly synchronous or there was a slight delay after the command, everyone had to repeat that rep. After three missed reps, the count was actually decreased, so the trainer counted something like that: 1! 2! 2! 3! 3! 3! 2! 3! 4! 4! 5!... In total, they did like 40 bodyweight squats. Although that isn't all that much, keep in mind that we're talking about kids here, kids that already spent an hour running, jumping and wrestling. Also, all of that was done before breakfast.

Talking about breakfast, it'll be some hard work burning all those calories. Since I'm normally following the Warrior Diet, I was under the impression of doing little besides eating all day long. Everyone assured me that we were actually feeding at a normal frequency, they were just concerned with the huge amounts I ate per meal. The whole situation made me remember Pavel Tsatsouline's praise for the Warrior Diet: "I don't have time to graze all day - I have better things to do!". I totally agree.

In terms of strength, I did some suspension training in the woods and introduced my little cousin (who happens to be my godchild) to the concept. Anyhow, it was more of an entertainment thing rather than serious training.

Being somewhat anxious about losing all the strength I've built during my last 5x5 Phase with Chris, I hit the gym three times, twice in the first week and once in the second. In this very gym, I had my first real experiences with resistance training when I was around 13 or 14. Indirectly, It was through that gym that I finally ended up becoming a Shinergy instructor, but that's an other story. I pretty much focused on deadlifts and olympic cleans, as those will be at the core of my strength training for the coming couple of weeks.




In Poznan, we did little apart from the usual tourist stuff: walking from sight to sight, drinking coffee in cafés, losing a camera, panicking, reacquiring our lost camera, ... you know, nothing out of the ordinary. Only memorably thing in terms of martial arts was when we were walking up to the citadel and met three guys practicing MMA in the park. Since I really hate to be bugged during my training, I decided not to become a bugger myself but rather leave them alone. Hence, I didn't take any pictures.
Talking about pictures, here's a couple random ones to give you a visual impression of my trip:

Dabki





Poznan




There's quite a few things I've learnt from this trip. I'll cover those in my next posts "Thoughts on attitude: Perfection", "Thoughts on warmup: A new core complex", "Thoughts on training: Pushing children towards success" and "Thoughts on exercise: The olympic clean".

So long,

take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on S&C: Assess, don't guess - Athletics @ Shinergy[base] Vienna

  Disclaimer: This one's going to be a bit lengthy, so I tried to include as many videos as possible to keep things fresh.  Since December, 2014, I'm in charge of the athletics class we run at the Shinergy[base] here in Vienna. In a nutshell, the athletics class is pretty much a functional strength class for small groups. In contrast to other systems out there (which all have their benefits in their own sense), out athletics class follows a simple periodization and is preceded by an individual assessment of each athlete. Our assessment usually doesn't take as long as, say, a full [FMS] , but then again, we screen for the selection of exercises we're actually planning on employing in the current program. This means that, although it might be beneficial for general health or long-term improvement of a functional movement base, there is no pressing need to screen for overhead competency if the plan calls for a horizontal upper body push. We can ḱeep our initial screens