Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Michael H (Shinergy[stadlau]) VS Tino P (Shinergy[zone vienna])

Ok, it's been a while. Now properly analyzing a fight means going through the details over and over again, watching the fight endless times, observing a different aspect each time. This is not something I can do on the fly. So, since I was pretty short on time, I decided not to write a half-hearted analysis but rather postpone the thing a bit. Now, I've got some time on my hands again, so here we go. Having said all of the above, this analysis was actually pretty easy as the whole fight was somewhat one-sided.

Today's installment will cover the only fight fought under redbelt rules at the last Shinergy[battle]. The matchup had Tino, a young yet relatively successfull semi-contact fighter (he scored some national medals at semi-contact kickboxing under WKF rules) fight Michael, one of my guys. Now both contestants can be considered Veterans in that they've both had their share of Shinergy battles in the past. Knowing both fighters and their respective background, I estimated Tino to dominate the kicking range while I considered Michael to be far superior in the clinch. I also saw Michael as the favourite when it comes to the boxing range. Surprisingly, I found the opposite to tbe true: Michael clearly dominated the kicking range while Tino scored better (IMHO) punches. Now don't get me wrong: Without any doubt, Tino's kicking technique is far superior to Michael's. Still, what counts at the end of the day is who hit and who got hit - and under this aspect, Michael clearly was on top.

As for the third distance, the clinch, I was proud to see that Michael did a good job with those knees. Overall, my boys defintely dominated the infight distance during that battle. Hopefully, the other competitors will react to that and improve their clinch as well.

Anyways, some of Michael's better kicks can be seen at 00:37-00:39 in clip #3, 00:41 in clip #1, 01:30 in clip #1 and 01:28 in clip #2.

On the other hand, you can see Tino scoring with some solid punches at 01:16 in clip #2 and 00:36 in clip #1. Tino successfully blitzed Michael on quite a few occasions, even though he failed to seize the resulting opportunity for more serious follow-up strikes.

In any case, it looked to me as if Tino was trying to make his semi-contact style count and out-smart Michael. There was a lot of side-stepping, evasive action and spectacular, high spinning kicks. After the fight he told me he was "trying out distance", so apparentaly my initial guess wasn't too far away from the truth. In any case, whatever he tried to do didn't work out under our full-contact ruleset.

Michael definately improved his kicking game since his last fight. Actually, those kicks get evidently better each time he competes. Also, his boxing improved a lot. However, on more than one occasion, the coordination of punches proved to be inadequate. At certain points, Michael obviously had his mind set to a specific distance or even technique and therefore failed to fully comprehend what was actually going on. Take a look at 01:16 in clip #2, for example. Up to that point, Michael had scored with some great roundhouse kicks to the body. Obviously determined to stick to that strategy, he followed Tino to the edge of the fighting area and slipped into boxing range without even noticing it. Seeing the opportunity, Tino attacked with a (very semi-contact style) cross and conntected. Now while I doubt there was a lot of power behind that punch, it forced Michael a step back, thus allowing Tino to make it to the center of the fighting area again. Now this was a clear tactical mistake on Michael's side.

To make up for that, in the third round (00:24 in clip #3) he pulled off a solid jab/cross/rear roundhouse combo when Tino tried to fake an attack from too close a distance.

As you can see at 00:14 - 00:19 in clip #3, a situation very similar to the one described above presented itself in the third round. This time, Michael kept a proper distance, had his guard up and dealt with that back kick as if it was nothing. While his overall movement was pretty good in that moment, his failure to throw a kick or a strike forfeit the advantage of his superior position. He even let Tino escape and get to the center of the fighting area again. Here, a more aggressive approach would definately have been appropriate. Now on that situation it was apparent Tino was waiting for an opportunity to counter with some sort of spinning kick, so basically the right approach for Michael would have looked something like this:
  • Keep the distance, stay alert
  • Cut Tino's way to prevent him from gaining a more favourable position
  • Feint/fake to provoke a counter, which in turn opens a window of opportunity
  • Use that window of opportunity to either score a kick or rush in with flying fists
Now attack tactics is what I'm currently putting emphasis on in my classes, so I guess Michael will handle situations such as this one more effectively at the next battle.

Overall, Michael clearly dominated the fight from the first second on and deservingly won. On a sidenote, I have absolutely no idea how that second round could be judged a draw. Of course, if you feel different, feel free to express your opinion in the comments section below.

Next up: Gabriel's second fight of the evening. Stay tuned.

So long,

take care


Clip #1Clip #2
Clip #3


Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W