Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Fight Prep: 2012-05-04

This is the blog title

Today's S&C session revolved around squats, cleans and presses. Just like wednesday, I started things by going through Chad Waterbury's Iron Core circuit.

Iron Core
When I reviewed the program the first time, I meantioned just how hard the "leg curl with stability hold" exercise is. Looking at the original article again, I realized I was actually making things harder than they are meant to be. In the original video, both arms are placed on the ground while performing the exercise. I, on the other hand, did this with both pointing towards the ceiling. This vastly decreases the base of stability, hence making the exercise a thousand times harder. Seems my core isn't all that weak after all. Well, since I (almost) managed to do the exercise without support from the arms, I chose to keep that up. However, I start the first of the two sets exactly as in the video to properly activate the core before challenging it hard with the modified version.

The Session
After warming up and activating the core muscles, I hit the weights for my 5/3/1 lifts. Today, it was the squat and the clean & press. The clean isn't really heavy, as the press definately is the limiting factor. Still, I prefer the C&P over the straight shoulder press, as the added explosive element will keep the heart rate high and the nervous system primed. Also, cleaning a lot improves the clean, which obviously is a good thing...

Speaking of an active nervous system, I implemented Thibaudeau's idea of adding jumps to every workout. I did doubles on vertical jumps before squatting and horizontals before pressing. I really don't know if this actually makes sense in a scenario where there's quite a lot of power cleans anyways. Then however, tossing in a handful of jumps certainly won't hurt.

As I have a fight coming up on May 19th, I chose to do the prescribed 5 reps instead of AMRAP (as many reps as possible) on the last set. This might very well diminish potential strength gains, but then on the other hand, not maxing out cuts short on my regeneration time. I just really don't want to over-train at the moment. After all, I'm a martial artist, not a powerlifter. Quite a lot of fighters completely skip lifting during the last few weeks before a fight. As I mentioned, though, I don't have an off-season to speak of this year, so just doing the prescribed minimum is something of a compromise.

I feel I did quite well on the squats. Definately had another rep or two in the tank when I re-racked the bar. On the press, however, I had to call it quits after the first rep. Don't know why and honestly, I don't care. So close to a fight, there's no time to give any doubts or negative thoughts a chance. Just get over it and brace for the next session.

On a positive note, the following rope skipping went extremely well. I usually count rope revolutions, as they're an objective measurement of intensity. My goal for each round was to hit 300 revolutions - that's 2.5 revolutions per second. Although I didn't always reach that number, I came pretty close. Just as wednesday, I tossed in a set of Pull-Ups (á 8 repetitions) after every second round.

Overall, I feel extremely fit.


The Stats
Warmup
SquatClean & Press
Set #WeightRepsSet #WeightReps
17051325
18051403

Work
SquatClean & Press
Set #WeightRepsSet #WeightReps
192,55142,55
2105,05247,55
2120,05255,01

The future
Tomorrow, I'll teach an afternoon class (two, to be precise. One of them is a conditioning class, though, so it doesn't count in this context) where I'll participate in the warmup, shadow sparring and sparring. I'll probably also shoot some video footage, not sure yet. If I do, I'll definately put it up here.

So long,

take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on S&C: Assess, don't guess - Athletics @ Shinergy[base] Vienna

  Disclaimer: This one's going to be a bit lengthy, so I tried to include as many videos as possible to keep things fresh.  Since December, 2014, I'm in charge of the athletics class we run at the Shinergy[base] here in Vienna. In a nutshell, the athletics class is pretty much a functional strength class for small groups. In contrast to other systems out there (which all have their benefits in their own sense), out athletics class follows a simple periodization and is preceded by an individual assessment of each athlete. Our assessment usually doesn't take as long as, say, a full [FMS] , but then again, we screen for the selection of exercises we're actually planning on employing in the current program. This means that, although it might be beneficial for general health or long-term improvement of a functional movement base, there is no pressing need to screen for overhead competency if the plan calls for a horizontal upper body push. We can ḱeep our initial screens