Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Reflections on the Open TKD EC 2012, Part I


The Bad
I'm hugely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the tournament was awesome and except for a few details the organization was highly professional. What I'm unhappy about was my own performance. I feel like I under-performed really bad. To say things straight out, I lost in the first round.

It's not the fact that I lost in the first round that bugs me. Every other competitor does, in a [single-elimination tournament]. There's an important difference, however, between doing your best and losing with dignity on the one hand, and just not fighting well on the other hand. Consider [my last full-contact bout] - even though I lost those finals, I'm much more content with that fight than [the corresponding half-finals]. Did my best, put up a great fight and got knocked out in the last round. Stuff happens, that's just part of the game we play.

Still, this time, I lost before even setting foot on the mat. There's a couple of reasons for that, most of which I won't touch here (some I might not even know, I have to spend some more time reflecting on what happened yesterday). Definately a big piece of the puzzle was my extreme weight cutting. While weight-cutting is an integral component of any weight-class regulated sport, I guess I just overdid it this time. In a matter of just a couple of days, I dropped down from nearly 80kg to 69.8kg on friday. Due to organizatorical issues, I went for 30 straight hours without any food and (much worse) water.

Me immediately after weigh-in. No water for 30 hours.
I thought having more than 36 hours (friday night + saturday day + saturday night) would be more than enough to rehydrate and refuel. Maybe it was and my lack of drive wasn't at all connected with my weight. I honestly can't tell. In any case I can tell that this didn't actually give me any additional energy... Definately need to experiment more on this topic. Can't afford to lose important fights because of excessive cutting. I'll work out a functional solution to this one soon, just need some time to get my mind straight.

Once I recover (both mentally and physically), I'll post more on my fight and the lessons that can be drawn from the whole thing.

The Good
On a very positive note, Chris took bronze in the semi-contact division (men -70kg). I don't begrudge it to him, he absolutely deserved it. Won three fights against really high-class competitors from
  1. Mussia
  2. Moldovia and
  3. Poland

Lost against an english in the half-finals. Now the awesome thing is Chris had just had ACL surgery six months ago - so he basically entered the tournament without the ability to throw explosive kicks. Now especially the lead leg pumping sidekick is a principal weapon in point-fighting. Being robbed of this tool would put most fighters in a very bad situation. Chris, on the other hand, made the best out of the situation and relied on his blazing fast blitzing attacks to score time and again. "Reduce to the max", at it's highest. Chris did what I failed to - he stuck to a solid gameplan. Guess I'll be writing a couple of retrospective posts on what Chris did over the course of the next days...

Anyhow, a more detailled report on the [EC2012] will follow once I'm back on my feet.

So long,

take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W