Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Way to the TKDI EC 2012, Part X

So let's start this one with the videos I promised you [the other day]. It's just the final rounds of sparring, it's shaky and it's certainly not in high definition, but it'll have to do - I'm pretty sure video quality will improve once I figured out how to operate all that stuff...


Today
Since I didn't have a chancen to do my interval sprints yesterday, I had to make good on them today. Now the trouble is, I don't have a tartan track nearby. I can use the facilities of the Vienna Sports University each wednesday, as that is the day when Ronny is holding a lecture there. However, I have no intention whatsoever to call Ronny up on a sunday to come to the track so I can run. Hence, I need to find a solution (as you may already suspect, I already did). First off, there's the [police sport association of vienna], who operate a large sports facility in the 22nd district. This is fairly close to where I live, so I'll definately check that out in the coming week. Today, however, I chose a completely different approach. Just a couple minutes away from my place is the [Steinitzsteg], a bridge over the danube that was originally built when the Nordbrücke (northern bridge) was restaurated. Now that the Nordbrücke is fully operational again, the Steinitzsteg is used exclusively by pedestrians, bicyclists and the like. Although it can't really be compared with a proper track, this bridge is relatively plain and more than long enough to do 100, 400 and 800 meters sprints.

The Steinitzsteg isn't completely plain, but since I'm not a particularly good runner, it's not like I'm ruining my world record attempt or anything. So, I just taped markers to the concrete at the starting position, after 100 meters and finally after 400. First, I wanted the [Endomondo] app on my Android phone to take care of distance management for me, but sadly, this program just flat out sucks rocks. I have a bachelor's degree in computer science, so figuring out how to store routes or set laps shouldn't be too hard for me. Still, I just wasn't able to do it. Bad interface, really. I even signed up with my facebook account, hoping this would give me the features I was looking for... which, in the end, it didn't. To make things worse, there's a severe lag in the distance display, sometimes distances aren't updated at all, in spite of the app displaying a "GPS ok" message.

In the end, after a couple of tries, I managed to correctly measure my distances (0m, 100m, 400m) and marked them with blue kinesio tape. Smart as I am, I fixed the tape to the railing - which happened to be blue as well. This made me miss my first 400m dash, as I just flew past the marker and didn't stop until I realized I've run too far. Just as always, I didn't take the time on my 100m sprints, as these primarily serve as a means of neural activation. For the 400m dashes, however, I did stop the time and got the following:
  1. ~01:20 (this is a rough estimation as I missed the mark on my first run. Fixed a longer strip to the ground for the two subsequent intervals)
  2. 01:17
  3. 01:18
That's not great results by any standards, but then I'm not a runner, either. Bit slower than [the last time], though, which isn't good as I'm trying to get faster each session. Let's blame the bridge for not being completely plain...

Anyhow, since we all know that Rocky won all those fights thanks to his legendary long-distance roadwork, I decided to append a distance run for another 40 minutes or so.

© Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved
Ok, truth be told, I really just wanted to take advantage of all that [EPOC] I built up during my interval training, but the Rocky theory just sounded too good not to be told....

I weighed in at 75.5kg before the session, immediately after I came home I was down to 74.3kg. Guess I worked pretty hard after all, huh?

Two more weeks to go until the [Open European Taekwondo Championships 2012] - still lots of work to do. I'll keep you up to date here, so make sure to check the blog on a regular base.

So long,

take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W