Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Trainer Course, BSPA Linz, Week 1, Day 5

My second last day here in Linz is just coming to an end...

I arrived here monday morning. Nothing worth mentioning happened, except for the fact maybe that I actually got my training schedule to work. Just did a crisp session during lunch break. On tuesday, I felt those deadlifts, hard...

You see, on tuesday, they started by putting us through a battery of tests like standing broad jump, 20m sprints, skipping, etc, etc... all very much leg dominant. Then, for a good finish, we did a [Conconi] test at around 6pm, Needless to say, I was pretty wasted.

Now the point is that I'm somewhat in a hurry to complete my [current training program]. On June 29th I'll go to China and obviously, I'll get a bit weaker over the trip. If I can make it to the gym while I'm there, fine. I won't sacrifice any Kung Fu in favor of general S&C, though... Hence, I need to make sure to get as strong as I can before my departure. Therefore, I decided to do another heavy lifting session on Wednesday. Since the first two days took their toll, I reduced the session in volume and skipped two out of three assistance exercises. Still, the fact that I'm not perfectly regenerated (to say the least) became painfully apparent when, in the AMRAP set, I was only able to complete 4 reps on both the deadlift and weighted pull-up (where 5 reps was considered the day's minimum requirement). To make things worse, immediately after my session (which I scheduled to fall into lunch break), they took us through another test battery. Again, we did 20m sprints, tapping, jumps for height and similar stuff...




Yesterday, it was mostly theory before hitting the track again for a tasty 5000 m run to test our anaerobic capacity. To be honest, I took it relatively easy the first 4.6 km and then finished the whole thing with an all-out 400m sprint. I either move slow or fast... I'm not the guy for moderation.

Today, we did some more running. After a rather fun session on strength-endurance circuits, we hit the track once more and performed a Crescendo test, which is pretty much a Conconi test with speed increases every 400m instead of 200m. Hence, it'll take roughly twice the time and leave you even more wasted...

For me, this is becoming ridiculous. We did 3 exhaustive (i.e., to the point of cardiovascular failure) tests in just four days. All based on running. In addition to that, we did some jumps for both height and distance, along with some tapping, skipping and sprinting. Now I'm all for work capacity, but it'd be nice to mix things up a bit. I'm really no endurance athlete, after all...

Just to give you an overview of what I did over the last five days (including today), here's the schedule so far:
  • Monday:
    • 09:45 - 12:00 Course opening and organisational issues
    • (we finished this at 11:00. Only session so far that ended early. Hence, I trained from 11:30 until 12:30)
    • 13.15 - 14:45 Some general stuff I can't quite remember...
    • 15.00 - 18:00 General training theory (test criteria)
  • Tuesday:
    • 08:00 - 09:30 Massage - theory
    • 09:45 - 12:00 Test battery I
    • 13:15 - 15:15 Massage practice
    • 15:30 - 17:00 Special training theory (Conconi)
    • 17:15 - 19:30 Go out and perform a Conconi test (Test didn't take all that long. We did it in 4 groups, though, warmed up quite a bit, covered the theoretical aspects,...)
  • Wednesday:
    • 08:00 - 09:30 Seminary from 
    • 09:45 - 12:00 Muscle function tests
    • (here I hit the gym from around 12:30 to 13:00...)
    • 13:30 - 15:45 Test battery II
    • 16:00 - 18:15 Evaluation of the Conconi tests
  • Thursday:
    • 08:00 - 10:15 Sports paedagogics and methodology
    • 10:30 - 12:00 Practice with [overspeed trainers], mostly jumps and sprints (both resisted and supported)
    • 13:15 - 14:45 Sports paedagogics and methodology
    • 15:00 - 18:00 5k run (the run took me approximately 25 minutes... the rest was spent on theory, warm-up, coaching the second group, etc.)
  • Friday:
    • 08:00 - 10:15 General training theory (Endurance)
    • 10:30 - 12:00 Practice session on strength-endurance circuits
    • 13:30 - 15:00 Special training theory (Crescendo Test)
    • 15:15 - 17:30 Go out and perform a Crescendo test
    • 17:45 - 19:15 Evaluation of the Crescendo test
I'm not exactly sure about what's up tomorrow, but I was told there'd be some endurance test... Just have to soldier through that final test, I guess.

I'll share some of my impressions in the days to come,
so long,

take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W