Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Thoughts on Combat: Deliberately slowing down

They say that speed is king. I agree. Up to a point, that is. Speed is good to have but I've seen the slower fighter take home victory on more than one occasion. Even for the faster guy, there's a better way than just going 100% all the time. I believe that most of the time in training (unless you're specifically training for speed) and combat, you should move well below your speed limits. This might contradict common sense at first glance, but let me get into this a bit.

First off, I'm a huge believer when it comes to mixing things up. That being said, I think that having two ways to go is better than being stuck with one, especially when it comes to speed and rhythm. If all you do is move at top speed all the time (which you can't and shouldn't do, anyhow, as I'll explain later on), all you can do to surprise your opponent is to slow down. Nothing bad with that, really - sometimes, lower the pace of the game might be just what you need. Also, pausing for half a beat from time to time, hence breaking your own rhythm, might just allow you to score where you would normally just have hit the other guy's guard. Still, sometimes you need to speed up, either during a combination (again, to strike with a broken rhythm) or to push the pace and go for a finish. By keeping your standard pace somewhere around 70%-80%, you always keep a certain reserve that you can exploit when needed.

Speaking of pace, keeping your speed below what you can actually do will keep you from gassing out. That way, when the time has come to finish your opponent, you can actually push the pace and force him to keep up. Once he can't, he's yours. Aside from physiology, there's an biomechanical aspect to be considered, too. As Pfeiffer [1] explains in his book, maximum striking power can only be developed around 2/3 of your maximum speed. [Ronny], my friend and mentor, has always called this the "80% rule", although his rationale for advising against max speed was a bit different from Pfeiffer's.

All the above said is important - at least I believe it to be - but there's a strategic consideration not yet undertaken. You see, how you win one fight comes down to technique, speed, power and tactics. Strategy, on the other hand, goes far beyond that. Rather than looking at individual fights, as yourself how you're going to be fighting 10 years from now. How about 20 years? At some point, you'll get slower. That's just the way nature works. Still, when you look at [this list of UFC fighters], you'll notice that especially in the heavier weight divisions, an advanced age (for sports standards) doesn't necessarily contradict success. Once you reach a certain age, your opposition will be younger and faster than you. At that point, you better had learned to fight a faster man. Of course, this takes a tremendous level of skill and experience. If you start building up that skill only once you get too slow to win by relying on your speed, you'll spend quite some time losing. Hence, deliberately moving slower while you can speed up will benefit you in the long term.

Just some semi-random thoughts of mine, what do you think? I'm looking forward to reading your comments,

so long,


take care

Source(s):
[1] "Mechanik und Struktur der Kampfsportarten: Handbuch für Trainer in Kampfsport und Kampfkunst", Ralf Pfeiffer, 2006, Sportverlag Strauß

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W