Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Day of the fight: 2011-11-05, review

So on Saturday, I had a full-contact kickboxing match. I've lost. Got knocked out in the second round. But first things first.

From an organisational point of view, things were pretty fubar, both on the promoters side as well as on mine. In any case, I'll only cover my own mistakes here.

First, I planned on fighting in the -71kg division but missed the weight by 2kg. This was the first time in my fighting carreer that I couldn't make the weight I planned on. Not that it had mattered at all in this case - there wouldn't have been anyone in the -71kg division anyway, so dropping more weight would just have left me in a (even) weaker state and I'd still have to fight the same guy. Nevertheless, next time I'll have to pay more attention to the weight issue.

Second, I thought following a strict warrior diet even on the competition day was a good idea, which it apparently was not. You see, I've mostly trained around 10 a.m, as last time I had the first fight of the day. Hence, I conditioned my body to perform at it's best around that very time. However, this time my fight was at 5 p.m, so at that time I've been without food for about 21 hours. Needless to say, I was pretty low on energy when I stepped into the ring.

Now I still love the concept of the warrior diet. However, I guess I'll have to distinguish between off-season/fight prep where the WD is fine and competition days where I need to to something else, nutrition-wise.

Well, like I said, after spending about 9 hours watching fights, warming up a couple of times and waiting for my fight, it was my time to fight. My opponent was a thaiboxer from the Hanuman Gym Vienna. Knowing that, I decided to keep the distance a bit longer than usual and focus on indirect counters to his rear roundhouse kicks. I don't know why, but I decided to deviate from that strategy in the first seconds, as you'll see in the attached video - instead of indirectly countering his rear roundhouse (which I was certain would come), I wanted to try to counter it directly with a spinning backkick. The attack actually came just as I expected, but I was too slow.

The rest of the first round, I was pretty much in attack mode and scored some nice hits. Now the other guy wasn't exactly a technical boxer. To be honest, I rather expected to be facing a better boxers than myself, but this wasn't really the case. There was no real footwork to speak of, he rather jumped me when he attacked. Now don't get me wrong on this one, that guy packed quite a punch. However, you'll notice in the video that in the first round, I once caught him with an overhand strike and drove him into the ropes when he jumped me.

All together, I think the first round was clearly in my favour.

The second round, however, was disastrous. I anticipated the guy to jump me again, so I decided to counter with a spinning backfist. Again, he attacked just as I expected. I didn't score a clean shot, though, whereas he did. Knocked me down with a right hook under my extended arm.

I did get back on my feet, but obviously (don't really remember my thoughts, obviously) I wanted to turn the round to my favor and tried to push him. Bad idea after a knockdown. That's when he drove me into the ropes and knocked me out with a right. Anyhow, just watch the video.



I'll put up a "lessons learned" post somewhen in the coming days.
So long,

take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W